Site Meter
Fritz Feds

Monday, November 07, 2005


Knee-jerk liberalism

So I am sitting in the subplaza studying, and someone, a student I presume, just came around and took table tents off of every single table that promoted National Guard service in exchange for tuition reimbursement.  I asked her what she was doing, to which she replied snippily/angrily “they don’t belong here.” Awful tolerant person, I could tell.  We know you don’t like the Solomon Amendment.  We also know that you really hate the military because of “don’t ask, don’t tell”.  I saw a sign over by the 1L mailboxes that said “The problem isn’t gay soldiers, the problem is dead soldiers”.  And fine, you could make that argument.  My thought is, why do you care so much if those with whom you are allied can join the military you despise?  I would guess that even without discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, these same people would find some way to argue against any military recruitment on campus.  How about you resist your knee-jerk reaction just for a moment and give your fellow students some credit for being capable to make their own decisions.  Or would that be intolerant?          


0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment

Home