Site Meter
Fritz Feds

Saturday, January 07, 2006


I'm fine, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

So I’m up late, since I like late, watching this infomercial because the remote is at least 8ft away from me, and who comes on but former Congressman J.C. Watts (R-OK), former Chairman of the House Republican Conference and general football badass.  What’s he pitching?  Free government money!  Less than three years after retiring (with a 93% ACU rating), the “black Bill Bennett” (no, he doesn’t have a gambling problem, why was that the first thing you thought of when I said Bill Bennett?), who presumably left the Congress to spend more time with his family and to work on being a policy guy, an idea generator, is on TV telling me to “get off the couch, sign up, and come to the [National Grants] Conference.”  Thanks J.C., but I don’t even have a couch (can I get a grant for that?).  Now, some of these grants have a purpose that I’m ok with I guess, such as promoting home ownership and small business; others make me queasy, as do some of the participants (the “host” was an Asian woman, who when one of the “panelists” was discussing grants for minorities and women chirped with glee “I’m both!”, apparently she didn’t get the memo).  In any event, I think Watts could do better, I mean, yeah, he has GOPAC, which is cool, but focuses primarily on the electoral end of electoral politics.  He also has his own company, which is a bit more promising.  I wish he would focus on that.  I mean, doing an infomercial was bad for Cher, and she was already awful, imagine what it could do to someone with a solid reputation.  I just punched him up in WikiQuote, and it turns out J.C. stands for Julius Caesar, assuming Wiki is right.  Anyhow, here’s a little quote from him, cliché as hell, but still a bit valid:

“Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught. Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking...
-Speech at the Republican National Convention (August 13, 1996)


0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment

Home