Site Meter
Fritz Feds

Thursday, March 30, 2006


Now can we admit that this whole thing was foolish?

I don't think I've posted here on gesture-quiddick, though I have elsewhere.  Here is the "original" Boston Herald story, in quotes only because I do believe it has been changed (the original fairly strongly implied him giving the finger, probably just by omitting the description of the gesture).  Well, now the Herald has something of a correction (though not much).  The full letter can be read here.  After explaining the meaning of the gesture, Scalia writes:

"How could your reporter leap to the conclusion (contrary to my explanation) that the gesture was obscene? Alas, the explanation is evident in the following line from her article: “ ‘That’s Sicilian,’ the Italian jurist said, interpreting for the ‘Sopranos’ challenged.” From watching too many episodes of the Sopranos, your staff seems to have acquired the belief that any Sicilian gesture is obscene - especially when made by an “Italian jurist.” (I am, by the way, an American jurist.)"  

Reading the articles kind of made me sad, but only because they reminded me that Justice Scalia is 70 years old.  


0 comments

Comments: Post a Comment

Home